Saturday 31 May 2014

Post the Twenty-Ninth - sleep loose

The usual response to someone wishing you 'good night' is 'sleep tight' - a phrase which has several specious origin stories, most involving Elizabethan mattress straps, but is actually just an archaic way of telling someone to sleep soundly. Presumably it has something to do with keeping eyes tight shut.

Anyway, whatever its meaning, Mama and I don't use it - we prefer 'sleep loose'. That's because I need all my muscles to be relaxed in order to get to sleep. Usually, now that I'm in a generally comfortable place, that's pretty easy. However, since I've been doing things like walking in the hoist (which is my equivalent of going to the gym), it's been a little more difficult because I'm achy.

So I am now putting even more store than before behind my relaxation strategies - ranging from meditation to wheatbags, and trying to remember that this is positive and productive pain, unlike most that I've experienced in the past.

I never used to believe the idea of 'no pain, no gain' - but it seems it's decide to prove me wrong. I'm determined to make sure it's worth it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment