Sunday 4 May 2014

Post the Seventh - clarification

Hello again friends!

(See how much more regularly these updates are appearing?)

Actually, that (rhetorical) question sort of sums up the subject of today's post, because it delineates what is perhaps the most (seemingly) obvious difference between Walking by 2015 and Walking by 2013, which I have mentioned at various points over the last few days. Namely the fact that, this time around, I have thus far focused more on the apparently innocuous and insignificant happenings than on the 'bigger' events - and that I am consequently updating more frequently. It is this which led me to realise the need for the titular word, 'clarification', because (having reread my last few missives) I can see that my language has been a tad obtuse and wishy-washy...

Before I endeavour to clarify some things, though, I want to thank you for all your comments and suggestions. They're hugely appreciated and gratefully received - and they've given me lots of food for thought, most of which has led me to try and write this, and to do so in a vaguely coherent manner. So thanks.

Now, then, I'd like to go back to the point I raised at the beginning - concerning the frequency of posts. I think I have put too much emphasis on the idea that this new blog is to be smaller in scope than the last one, and thereby oversimplified my hope for this space. On reflection, the divide between the macrocosm of my first challenge and the microcosm of this project (which I have been so desperate to uphold until now) is entirely false.

Let me try and explain. I still have a specific and, more importantly, desired end - I want to walk to collect my Master's degree next April. Moreover, in the future (read: as soon as my dear Mama returns from her trip), I will be deliberately and conscientiously working towards that goal, about which I shall most definitely write - as I did with Walking by 2013. Indeed, I will have lots to write, because (however outlandish a fantasy it may appear to be) I am hoping to capitalise on the freedom given by the Botox and the success I am having with hydrotherapy in order to explore the possibility of doing it (even briefly) on my own. There you go.

This time, though, I am also (as I have already begun) writing about the seemingly insignificant or innocuous happenings in my life. Not because the big leaps aren't just that - huge - but because, through a combination of the new discoveries I have made on my course and outside it, I am now at a point where I am comfortable enough with myself and my situation in life that I feel brave enough to write about the small, or even difficult, bits as well. Whereas, during Walking by 2013, I often felt I should skip posting on a bad day because it was better that you only heard about the good stuff, I now understand that these aspects are nothing to be ashamed of in the slightest.

This is why you will see triumphant evidence of me walking in the the hoist alongside pictures like the one below, which shows me having my hair washed in a wok because my body just wasn't up to showering. After all, every journey comes with peaks and troughs, and I'd be lying to myself if I didn't acknowledge that - and I do. It's just that I prefer to greet hard times with a smile. So you will probably get more walking than wok photos, on balance, but I wanted to publicly assert that I have started this blog in the hope that it will provide a place for both.

I hope, too, that this has made clear my intentions, and removed any confusion. (Confusion which I shared.) Perhaps it will make yesterday's post easier to comprehend - who knows, it might even change some of your answers.

Thanks for reading, as always. It's lovely to know you're there.

Here's the wok photo =P:

No comments:

Post a Comment