Saturday 3 May 2014

Post the Sixth - compassion fatigue?

I have a question, dear readers. It is related to the connection of this blog and Walking by 2013, which is implicit in their names, but it also follows on from my discussion yesterday about the differences between them.

As I wrote, the former was more of a macrocosm, whereas the latter (i.e. this space) is more of a microcosm. More specifically (and less hyperbolically-worded) Walking by 2013 had a clearly-defined goal. I was training to walk to collect my degree - which made it a prime opportunity for fundraising. People contemplating the idea of donating find it easier to comprehend a named achievement than they do sporadic (or even, shall we say, spasmodic? Tee hee) spurts of enthusiam.

This is what has thus far prevented me from linking my new blog to a fundraising page, particularly coupled with the awareness that people (however close they might be to the person asking) can get very tired, very quickly, of repeated requests for donations. Hence the title of this post - for the phenomenon is often termed compassion fatigue, and this is the last thing I would want to inspire in my readers, whether you are friends, family or passersby who have happened upon me through chance. After all, I have done this before, and don't want to bore you.

However, having pondered the two blogs for a bit, I have come to two (possibly paradoxical) conclusions. Firstly - as I have noted, they aren't based on the same premise, so it isn't an exact replica. Secondly - they aren't all that different, because I'm still working towards something, even if the parameters of that task are not as precise as those of its predecessor.

And I'd really love to raise some more money for Starlight.

Yet I want it to be anything but a chore or an obligation. So I thought that, before I set up anything or contact anyone, I'd better ask your thoughts. Would you consider it a pressure that I ought not impose, an unnecessary repetition, or would you be willing to support me on another drive for money and awareness, free from any kind of expectation, for a cause that is so close to my heart?

Let me know your thoughts. Comments, ideas and suggestions are most welcome and much appreciated.

Love and thanks xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment