Monday 19 May 2014

Post the Seventeenth - the Parrott getting back on her perch

Today's topic is something I don't believe I've ever discussed in a post, even during Walking by 2013 - the way I get in and out of my chair. I do something called a 'standing transfer', which is pretty self-explanatory, really. I push myself forward to the front of my chair, from where I stand up, holding onto someone for support. When I get back in, we do the same, but in reverse.

Well, actually, there's an extra bit - except that's the part I haven't been able to do since I developed sciatica in August. Once I had pushed myself forward, I would perch on the edge of my chair for a while, before standing up. After the sciatica arrived, I had to stop, because the edge of my chair poked right into the offending nerve.

If you think that this is a lament for a loss, though, you'd be very wrong - but hopefully the title will tell you that! Far from it - because, over the past few days, I've been perching once more. Following the reassuring news we received at my appointment on Thursday, it would seem that those last little twinges of sciatica which were not quelled by the Botox have finally gone.

So I can live up to my name again and perch to my heart's content - though I'm not quite stable enough for Mama to walk away yet, so you'll have to wait a bit for pictures!  

No comments:

Post a Comment