Friday 9 May 2014

Post the Eighth - hydro happiness (and more showers)

You will have noticed that there has been a rather longer gap between this post and the last than previously. This isn't because I haven't had things to write about. On the contrary, there's been so much happening that I've been scrambling to keep up with it. Due to the fact that Mama is still away, I haven't been brave enough to attempt anything too adventurous - at least, nothing which would seem that adventurous to anyone but me - so I've simply been puttering along as usual.

With my chair issues remaining unresolved, I've not been able to leave the house except on the days that Papa has brought the car back up from Surrey to take me to uni or, more frequently, to my favourite form of exercise - hydrotherapy. I've been twice since Mama left (in fact I was meant to go today, too, but it was cancelled; that's why I had time to write, after I finished the beginning of my dissertation).

The first time was also my first session since Botox, because of various problems with the pool, and it was great. We managed lots of stretches that haven't been possible since my sciatica. Tonight, though, my focus is the second session. You may remember from a couple of posts ago that my body had been struggling with the practicalities of having a shower. Well, after a brilliant time in the water on Tuesday I succeeded, not only in having a shower but in having one whilst sitting on a singularly uncomfortable and unstable seat. This was the same seat on which I have hitherto been unable to sit for more than a few seconds, let alone for the fifteen or so minutes it takes to have a shower. It didn't hurt at all - and I couldn't stop grinning!

That grin lasted until yesterday, when it only intensified. I felt safe and comfortable enough to shower again, this time at home, so I'm staying clean! As a spoonie (a term I'll explain in a forthcoming post) I can't emphasise enough how much this means. For now, I'll put it this way - I haven't used dry shampoo in a whole week.

A whole week!

April showers have flooded over into May, just as I hoped they would. Huzzah!

See you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment