Sunday 11 May 2014

Post the Tenth - in praise of 'The Lizzie Bennet Diaries', vol. ii

A little over a year ago, I wrote this post about The Lizzie Bennet Diaries, a web adaptation of Pride and Prejudice which had had a pretty big impact on my life, pulling me through the most difficult aspects of my final year and spurring me on to achieve my goal of walking to collect my first degree (which I then succeeded in doing, conquering a few of my own unforgiving hills. Huzzah!) I wanted, in some small way, to express my gratitude to the cast and crew - and hopefully that came across. 

Having done my best to articulate the myriad emotions I associate with both Austen and adaptations of her work in the original post, along with how fabulous The LBD especially manages to be, it may well seem odd that I would write on it again - after all, anything else would amount to little more than indecipherable gushing. Nevertheless, more than a year after it finished (two years since it started!), I am still noticing the positive effects - and it feels important to acknowledge that within the context of my new goal and exploration. Part of my reasoning for writing this particular post at this particular moment is because my copy of the DVD box set arrived just two weeks ago - and it honestly couldn't have come at a better time.

I have written a lot during these early stages of this new venture about how my power chair breaking down (which happened nearly a month ago now!) was the catalyst for my decision to start blogging again and to investigate the possibility of finding alternative ways of moving independently in my daily life, whilst also working towards walking to collect another degree - my Master's. What I haven't mentioned so much, in a bid to keep things largely positive and optimistic (because that constitutes my primary coping mechanism), is the amount of time I have spent feeling trapped over the last month. The thing is, although I am exploring different methods of motion, I am still far away from the point where any of these experiments have proved reliable enough for me to try on my own. So, to all intents and purposes, I am still stranded and immobile unless there is someone willing and able to push me around - and Life on Manual has been taking its toll.

That said, though, I refuse to be defeated - and this is why The LBD DVDs arrived at the perfect interval. When one (literally) can't move around the house, to have a series which is brilliantly written and acted, relevant to the sections of my dissertation that focus on the mechanics of storytelling (yay costume theatre!), and which amounts to over nine hours of footage, available on the TV at the touch of a button...is amazing, and the best cure for cabin fever and itchy feet I have come across thus far. Not only can I revel in the combined awesomeness of my favourite author (joint top spot with Tolstoy) and the hugely talented group of people who have done such justice to her words, but I can relive watching it for the first time, last year, and, through recalling of all the physical achievements I made in the  period that the story unfolded, be reminded that I can and will get there again - broken chair or no chair at all.

I wanted to take the opportunity to re-emphasise my thanks, even though all the words in the world could never adequately encapsulate how much the show still means to me. So I guess I'll end, not with my paltry prose, but with one of the best-loved quotations from this modern-day Lizzie - 'my gratitude is there, and always will be.'

No comments:

Post a Comment