Friday 16 May 2014

Post the Fourteenth - guerrilla toothbrushing

Having talked about a massive milestone yesterday, today we are back to the smaller stuff. That is, smaller, but no less significant. I wrote, five posts ago, about how I am back to brushing my hair. Well, not only am I still doing that, but I have also recouped another skill for my roster - brushing my teeth!

I have called it 'guerrilla' for two reasons. When I first said to Mama last night that I wanted to give it a try, I joked that I planned to save my body, if not quite the world, one bristle and one smile at a time. We giggled. Having done it again this morning, though, I understand that there was truth hidden in the jest (as there is so often). Most things do not succeed as a result of grandiose gestures. Rather they are achieved through those subtle efforts which would usually go unnoticed but, when combined, create a crucial bedrock for change. 'Duck tape won the war' is far from an empty phrase!

So, with that in mind, I thought you might like some photographic evidence of one more of my own 'subtle efforts' - because a toothbrush has more uses than just brushing teeth. It is a weight to lift, in preparation for something heavier, like a bar of soap. It is an endurance test, which helps me to gauge whether I can sustain sitting up without resting my arm on my, well, armrest. Most of all, though, it is proof that perseverance pays off.

Perhaps it's like riding a bicycle, in that you never forget?


Teef, innit!

No comments:

Post a Comment