Wednesday 14 May 2014

Post the Twelfth - 'Keep Fit While You Sit'

Having written yesterday's post about the benefits of Personal Training, I didn't expect to be discussing exercise again so soon. However, in comparing all of the different things I do (hydro, land-based work etc.) and the varying degrees of independence with which I do them, what struck me is how little exercise-related activity I actually do completely on my own. Sure, when I'm at home I take fifteen minutes out of every hour to do some breathing and abdominal work, but it's not the sort of thing which leaves me feeling as though I've just been to the gym - whereas with hydro or PT I'm (nicely) exhausted.

I wanted to change that. Obviously, it would have to be something I could do in a seated position, and I wasn't really sure how much I'd find. Nevertheless, as I should have expected, the internet came up trumps. After a search using the keywords in the title of this post - 'keep fit while you sit' - I discovered a youtube video of a programme from the mid-eighties called exactly that, which contains a thirty-five minute aerobic workout tailored to people in wheelchairs. It is demonstrated by three wheelchair users themselves (two of whom were in rehab after polio, and one with cerebral palsy, like me) alongside a physio and an aerobics instructor. I'll post it below for your viewing pleasure and information:



 
 
Now, it's not perfect. It's more than a little out-dated in its use of language, and could probably be done much better today. What I like about it, though, is that it isn't overly patronising. The potential viewers are treated as a valued audience, and aside from the necessary red-tape of the caveat that a physician be consulted before you begin the programme (as well as the fact that the participants are sitting down), it has all the features of a typical eighties workout show which is great fun to watch and to try. (I mean, what's not to love about a cheesy motivational soundtrack and huge hair? Exactly.)

So, over the next little while, I'm going to block off some time each day to watch that video and try the workout, to explore whether it makes a difference. I'll let you know how I get on - and maybe some of you will be inspired to have a play, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment