Monday 26 May 2014

Post the Twenty-Fourth - Jessi jumps

Many of you will know that my internet alias is usually something resembling messijessijumps. What you may not know is the logic behind that name. The 'messi' (sometimes in its dictionary form, 'messy') comes from my desire to find a word which rhymed with my name but wasn't 'stressy' or 'dressy'. Although I am often the first, I prefer to focus on the times when I'm not - and, as for the second, I'm very much a jeans and hoody sort of person. So, despite the fact that I'm pernickety about neatness, 'messy' seemed a good compromise, because it isn't entirely untrue. It refers to my bedhead - which, for a girl who doesn't move around much at night, is pretty damn impressive. At family reunions in Canada, us cousins used to have a competition every morning. I always won! The 'jumps' has nothing to do with jumping. It is a combined allusion to a nickname my parents gave me (Jessi Jumpsuit) and my initials, JMP, for Jessica Margaret Parrott. Papa always said they should've added Ursula, because then I would actually be JUMP. I'm very glad they didn't.

Why am I telling you this? Well, the jump may not refer to jumping, but it appears to have been a good omen. This morning when I was getting out of the shower (I know, more showers. Sorry!) I pushed myself off of my shower chair and (with Mama's help of course) jumped the several paces back to my wheelchair. That's two bare feet flat on the floor, both leaving and returning to the ground at the same time. Not hopping, with one foot flailing somewhere in the air, but jumping. Voluntarily. With bare feet. No shoes.

If I'm able to get both feet on the floor with shoes off as well as on, that's huge, because it means that they're not so sensitive that they pull away from any contact. And, if they're comfortable with the ground, they're almost ready for me to start shifting my weight again. So I can learn to step again as well to stand.

I think I'll just leave that there...! 

No comments:

Post a Comment