Thursday 1 May 2014

Post the Fourth - May Day

[Warning: As I'm posting this via an app on my iPad, it's not that easy for me to sort the font size, so huge apologies if it - and the next few - are super small. This makes me feel really awful on an accessibility front, obviously, and I'll sort it as soon as I'm back on my computer.]

I love May Day. It's mostly because I'm more than a little bit of a folk geek (as well as a history one) - but it's also simpler than that. The festival is about celebrating new beginnings etc. (I say etc. because this could so easily turn soppy and, since my last post was too long by far, I thought I'd better try and keep this one short.)

So. It would seem that a new beginning of sorts is exactly what I need at the moment. Not for this blog (after all, this is only post four) and not for life per se. My life is pretty good, and I constantly think about how lucky I am to be doing what I'm doing and living how I'm living right now. (That's not to say I always feel great, and there'll be a post on the subject if I manage to psych myself up to it, but things are good right now.) It's just that my chair situation has rather got me down, and Mama is currently on a plane to South Africa, so I've been worrying about how I'm going to get around for the next twelve days. (It's okay, I have lovely friends over to help, but I'm a worry wart.)

BUT I started back at uni yesterday after the holiday, and there is slightly more structure, because I have something to focus on. Namely my dissertation - which is, broadly, a fairy tale with a protagonist who has a disability, set in (guess?) the eighteenth century. So I've decided, in what you will soon come to recognise as typical Jessi fashion, that I'm going to take this as a research opportunity. There were no powered wheelchairs then, of course, so why shouldn't I have to cope for a week or two without the assistance of electricity? I mean, I've always said that I was born in the wrong era (aside from women's suffrage and good sanitation, at least in this country) so I suppose now's my chance to make good on that assertion.

Cue a new beginning involving not being bothered by my chair.

Happy May Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment