Wednesday 21 May 2014

Post the Nineteenth - on the wonder of words

Another short one today, as I'm trying to work what I've written for my play over the past few weeks into something resembling a coherent skeleton structure. I use 'skeleton' here, in full cognisance of its many meanings in my life, because it is a prime example of the subject of this post. Whilst I have been weaving together the first fragile threads of my dissertation project, I have been struck once again by the complexity of the tools I am using - namely, words - and reminded how truly wonderful they are. 

They can offer succour and solace when we are sad, or coax a chuckle and a laugh from our lips. We can use them to throw caution to the wind, or bury ourselves beneath them like a blanket for comfort. We can travel on their tips to places we have never been, but we may also allow others an inkling of the world that only we know. Such paradoxes make them puzzling, but pretty powerful, too.

(I realise that, for a post about words, this is strikingly inarticulate and obtuse. I apologise - the irony is not lost, and I shall expand upon it at some point.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment