Tuesday 13 May 2014

Post the Eleventh - blue sky thinking

Sorry I didn't write yesterday, but my Mama flew in from South Africa, so I was spending some quality time with her - and an ecstatic Darcy. Then she phoned to see if there was an update on the chair situation. They told her that they didn't know about the parts for my electric, but that someone would be coming to deliver a manual. When it got here, it didn't have all the bits it was meant to, but thankfully I don't have to use it until the time comes for my electric to go into the workshop, and they need the parts for that to arrive before they can take it away. So we've got a bit of leeway to sort the manual, and I'm no better or worse off than I was yesterday.

This is what I keep reminding myself. Yes, I can't get around at the moment, but I'm sitting up and out of bed. Yes, I struggle to move on my own when I'm working against gravity, but in the water I can keep myself afloat, move my arms, and just about kick my legs - and I'm working on getting back to swimming independently like I could when I was fourteen. Yes, I may not be able to frolic in the sun on the Heath as I would like to, but I can gaze out of the window at the blue sky and use its beauty as fuel for my mind and muscles. Hence the title of this post - you know how much I love puns!

One of the fundamental tenets of my life philosophy has always been making the best out of what I've got - because only then can it get even better - and hopefully the list above attests to that. (I know, I know, the schmaltzy Jessi optimism strikes again, but, if you've stuck around for this long, you surely must be used to it by now!?) So it should come as no surprise to you that I enjoy exercising, because it is important to keep my body in the best shape possible. This is why I've always loved physio - it keeps me comfortable. The thing with physio, though (whether in the pool or on land), is that it mostly consists of what is called 'passive stretching' - where someone else takes a particular body part and moves it about for me. Now, this is great - it means that muscles get stretched which wouldn't get a look in if I was left to muddle along on my own, because there are things which I am quite simply unable to do.

That said, I know that the most crucial aspect of effective muscles is their strength - after all, my main issue is that some of mine are too strong and others too weak. I'm also aware that the only real way to build up the strength of the weaker ones is for me to actively work them myself. Of course, I can do that whilst standing and walking in the hoist (of which I should have video footage in the next few days), but, as I spend the greater part of my day sitting, I also need to have things I can practise in my chair...

...which is where my wonderful friend Suzy comes in. We met thanks to a mutual friend (yay Savannah!) and she started off by helping me out at RADA. Over the course of the first few classes, it somehow came up that Suz has a Personal Training business to supplement her acting work. Well, do you think I was going to let that coincidence slip by? No way. Since then we have had a weekly session where I'm put through my paces, either sitting up or lying down. She also comes to hydro so that we can explore the contrast between land and water.

Suz doesn't have any other clients with disabilities, so this world was completely new to her - but I quite liked that idea, because it meant that she had no preconceptions whatsoever. She also doesn't make allowances - which is incredibly refreshing. After all, each of the people she trains have their own completely individualised programmes. She works me hard - but it's paying off. My legs are stretching, my abdominals are getting stronger, and it means I have something productive to do whilst my chair is on the blink. I couldn't be more grateful, especially now I can do these sorts of things again:

Without sounding too foward...look at the space between my legs!

Pushing my leg out whilst Suzy stretches hamstrings

Strengthening my abdominals by sitting up to create resistance for Suzy's stretch

Thanks, Suz!

No comments:

Post a Comment