Wednesday 11 June 2014

Post the Fortieth - straightening up and flattening out

There's something seriously satisfying about writing my fortieth post and it not being yet another chair update.

Because it's fixed. Yay. 

(I just had to type that one more time.)

Okay, now I've got that out of my system, we can move on. I wrote, a couple of posts ago, about how I've not been sleeping that well because of all the changes my body is undergoing at the moment. The discomfort in the muscles at the right side of my abdomen has meant that I've had to roll onto my back (with help) several times a night. This has been exhausting, both for me and for everyone who supports me (whether it be Mama and Jojo or other friends and helpers), but today I can tell you that it has not been entirely without its positives.

Not only is there an almost straight line between my shoulders and my hips (i.e. along the side of my stomach) when I lie on my back, but we can examine the crease that denotes my curve - and it is getting shallower. Also, and in many ways most excitingly, the part of my left rib which protrudes quite a bit is flattening out. The manner in which my curve manifests itself is analogous to the shape of a corkscrew, in that my pelvis is rotated one way and my spine the other. The result of this has been that one part of my ribcage is significantly more prominent - to the degree that we quickly got to calling it my 'third boob'. The fact that it is becoming less so, however slowly, is wonderful. It means that my spine is gradually returning to its old form, which is half the battle. 

Now just the hips to get into gear too. Surgery? What surgery? I'm just letting my skeleton do its thing, on a dark dark night, in a dark dark town, on a dark dark street, in a dark dark basement...

(Points if you get that reference - and we do actually live in a basement flat!)

No comments:

Post a Comment