Thursday 10 July 2014

Post the Sixty-Ninth - finding my voice again

Today was a fabulous, fabulous, day. I had my first voice lesson in an absolute age (of the musical, not the spoken variety, that is) and it felt so lovely to sing again. After a much-needed catch up and some vocal exercises, I had a proper sing-through of a piece by my beloved GF Handel, and my teacher said that she's really pleased with the way that the work I've been doing at RADA has impacted my voice. My speaking voice has found its correct placement, just as my body is doing, and it has taken my singing voice with it. Some of the new qualities that have developed will be due to the maturing of my vocal chords, she says, but mostly they're due to the physical and personal confidence I've gained from my course. 

I'm still definitely a mezzo, too, which is great because I've always preferred exploring characters like Carmen and Charlotte (and my favourites, the breeches roles of the eighteenth century) to those written for sopranos. Not that Violetta and Tatyana aren't beautiful - they just don't get into my bones as much.

So now my teacher is thinking of potential new repertoire, I'm preparing for a recital, and I have something to fill the gap left by the practical work we did over the first two terms but which stopped to give us time for our dissertations. I'm not sure which excites me most - the singing, or the fact that it will do such good things for my body and keep me on an even keel. Lots of people have commented on how my posture has improved over the past year, and they've asked how I plan to continue that improvement. Well, this is how, because posture is one of the most important aspects of singing - and now that my schedule is slightly less hectic I can fit it in. Even after just one lesson it's made such a difference to my intercostal muscles! Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment