Wednesday 2 July 2014

Post the Sixty-First - bands and tape

I've had four hours of physical workout today. Suzy came in the morning to do an hour and a half of personal training and Jessie came this evening for two and a half hours of physio. It doesn't always happen like this (usually we try and spread things out a bit, to save spoons and to ensure my body doesn't get overwhelmed) but this week scheduling got the better of us all - and it was fine! I'd even go as far as to say it was good. My body was wonderfully compliant, and we made lots of discoveries and tried out a few things, the two most significant of which are mentioned in the title.

Firstly, whilst Suzy was working on my arm earlier, I pulled slightly against her - and, although it was involuntary,  the movement made her realise how much strength I have in my arm muscles. So she got me to do it again, actively, and was so excited with the result that she wants me to try out exercising with resistance bands. I've never done it before myself, but I've seen other people use them, so I'm very keen and intrigued.

Secondly, on a slightly smaller scale (at first glance, anyway), Jessie has got me trying tape. It bears a striking resemblance to ordinary plasters, but it's completely different once you feel it, because it's thinner and a lot stretchier. The stretchy quality is the reason we're experimenting with it - it works with the body's connective tissue to put muscles into an apparently minuscule stretch that actually is quite big, and it can have a huge impact on everything from core stability and posture (my area of need!) to the excessive saliva production that causes dribbling. I've currently got some across one of my ribs, to investigate the effect on my pesky intercostals, and in between my navel and the top of my pelvis. We shall see!

So, a good day, albeit a busy one (we also went to a matinée!) - it's nice to know that I possess at least some stamina!

No comments:

Post a Comment